Monday, February 7, 2011

10 weeks to go to Half Marathon

I am going to just jump in here . . . I am 9 weeks into training for my first half marathon.

Here's my week's progress . . .

Week 9: 25.1 miles

Fun, fun, fun week. All is well. Longest weekly mileage & also longest run to date.

Run 1: 7.13 miles

On the flats on the rail trail with a friend. It was a fast one. Averaged 11:18 min/mi. Felt great!
It had been a while since I'd run on the flat(ter) rail trail and the snow was clearer than it has been lately, so for most of the run I had reliable footing. I'll be tickled to see how fast we are on the flats when we don't have to worry about ice or snow at all!

Run 2: 4.2 miles

Another flat one on the trail. Even faster. Averaged 11:02 min/mi. I guess the mileage is starting to impact my speed b/c these faster runs don't feel hard.

I had gotten so into the habit of running as fast as I could stand it when I run with company from a few months ago when if I didn't kill myself my friends were totally twiddling their thumbs. . . My running buddy actually wants me to slow down! Yay!! I am *happy* to do that! :)
Footing was a bit slippy that day, but not too bad.

Run 3: 4.8 miles

Another flat one. Tried to be mellower/slower as my friend & I have been putting in the mileage a lot this week (especially my friend, who is erratic about joining me for runs, but never runs solo, so will run 15 miles with me one week, then none for a week, etc.). 11:25 min/mi felt easy. Nice! It is kindof cool running these routes at paces a bit quicker than I did a couple months ago, but now my heartrate stays in the low/happy training zone as opposed to the 'you're about to drop dead' zone. LOL.

Run 4: 9 miles

Went back to my spectacularly beautiful hills for my long run this week. I sort of added a bit, make a loop out of the middle 4 miles, to what I did last week. The new part has a lllooonnngg killer hill, which was fun, and took us up to some great views. It also cranked up the average grade, lol.

My friend met me at a cross roads so she did the middle 5 miles with me, so that was super. She even brought me a water bottle, so I chugged some at 2.3 miles in, then grabbed the bottle to carry with me for the final 2.3 miles. That was nice! Total time 1:54, so 12:41 min/mi average, with 1500 ft ascent, 1500 ft descent, for an average grade of 6.3 % over the entire route. Sweet!! I am telling you, this is the most beautiful running route on the planet.

Strength:

Completed Days 1 & 2 of Week 2 of 200 Squats, maxing at a total of 75 squats on day 2.

I think I'll likely keep doing strength just 2 days most weeks, b/c I don't want my legs to be sore on running days (if I squat the day before a run), but wowsers, when I do the squats after a run, it is harder!! I did that for the first time this week (after one of the 4-5 mile runs) and wow, it seemed a lot harder than the other days!!

So, my plan is to do strength post run on light run days (less than 5 miles) as often as possible, so probably 2 days a week. Sounds fine to me.

Cross:

+ 3 hrs skiiing one day
+ 3 mile hard core hill walk one day


Comments:

Happy girl. My knees & ankles are feeling it a bit. Just achey. I will watch, RICE, stretch. . . and keep my fingers crossed. I think it's just aches due to the increased mileage. . . and think it'll resolve on its own quickly. If it doesn't, I'll reevaluate.

No comments:

Post a Comment